Plans to build a new school on Observation Hill were drawn up in 1979 and building commenced in January 1980.
The new school was opened a year later on 20 January 1981 with 189 learners from Class 1 (Grade 1), to Standard 2 (Grade 4). There were 11 teachers, including the Principal.
The school, then named Observation Hill Primary, was temporarily housed in the school buildings in Farquhar Road. On 10 June 1981 our newly completed school buildings were occupied and a month later our smart brown and yellow school uniform was introduced.
On 1982 the name was changed to Monument Primary School and our school badge as well as our motto were approved and accepted. The sports fields were handed over and a school bus was bought. The official opening of our school by the then Director of Education, Mr. S Levinsohn, took place on 26 October 1983. At this function the school song, written by Mrs A de Wet, was sung in public for the first time.
The first Headgirl and Headboy were appointed in 1984. They were Martha Carstens and Johannes Potgieter.
The first headmaster was Mr. J. de Coning (1981-1983). At that stage learners from grade 1 to 4 were accommodated. The first grade 7 class completed their primary school career in 1984.
Mr. F. Mellema became headmaster in 1984 and our school continued to grow and prosper. During 1995, when Klipriver Primary amalgamated with Monument Primary School, the enrolment of learners exceeded 1000.
Monument grew rapidly into the fine school it is today when Mr AO Slabbert, (1998-2004) and Mrs HJ van Rooyen, (2004-2011) was headmaster and headmistress.
Under the leadership of the current principal, Mr A.B. Rich, many new innovations have become part of the school facilities and the school is growing to be one of the leading schools in Northern KwaZulu Natal.